I am a person who is homeless,
what should I do?

If you’ve recently become homeless, or there is a risk of that happening, it’s important to get the right advice as soon as possible. The first thing you will need to do is to get in touch with your local council as soon as possible.

Liverpool City Council

 In an out-of-hours emergency

If you have had to leave your home and cannot wait until Housing Options is open, please call Careline on 0151 233 3061 (freephone 08007316844).

If we have a duty to, Careline will arrange emergency accommodation and an interview with Housing Options the next working day.

If you are sleeping rough tonight, call our 24-hour ‘Always Help Available’ on 0300 123 2041. You can also make an online referral. This service is delivered by the Whitechapel Centre.  


The council are unable to provide housing for me today, what can I do?

There are a number of drop in centres and advice services who will be able to offer you support, advice and provide options that are available to you during this challenging time.

How do I register for social housing?

You can register with Property Pool Plus to be assessed for longer term social housing options.

Where can I get food?

You can get meals and food parcels from a number of organisations throughout the week.

Where can I get housing/benefits/immigration advice?

Your local Citizens Advice branch will be able to offer advice and support around these issues and many more.

I am struggling with mental health/alcohol/drugs/gambling, is there an organisation that can help me?

Yes, you get support from Mind, Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous and Gamblers Anonymous. Alternatively, you can search for local organisations in your area.

I have been sexually assaulted/raped, is there someone I can speak to about this?

Rape Crisis support girls and women, Survivors UK support boys and men and GALOP provides support for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Queer (LGBT+) who who have been affected by sexual abuse or rape.

I am suffering from domestic abuse, is there someone I can talk to about this?

National Domestic Violence Helpline provides support for females, ManKind Initiative provides support for males and GALOP provides support for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Queer (LGBT+) victims of domestic abuse and violence.

Where can I get unused needles/exchange needles?

We are With You offer this service. Please visit their website for their address and opening hours.

How do I afford my medication while I am waiting for benefits to start?

Although most NHS treatment is free, there are still some costs you might need to pay, for example, to get your prescriptions or to travel to your hospital appointment. Find out how you could get help to pay for these health costs.

I have seen someone sleeping rough, how do I help them?

If you come across a rough sleeper you can let the council know by calling their 24-hour Always Room Inside helpline on 0300 123 2041. Alternatively, you can inform StreetLink, a website, mobile app and phone line that enables members of the public to alert local authorities and street outreach services about people they have seen sleeping rough, which will help them locate people and offer support. Please provide as much information as you can, such as:

  • Location of where the person is sleeping rough
  • Time of day you have seen the person here
  • Gender
  • Age
  • What the person looks like
  • The persons name
  • Are there any issue to be aware of? E.g. is the person under the influence of alcohol?

I would like to help but don’t know how

Whether it’s offering your time, giving practical items, making a donation or help change policies – there is lots you can do to make a difference. Please visit our Give Help page to find out more.